The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

Front air conditioner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
teedium
Members

Front air conditioner Empty
PostSubject: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:56 am

As a new member I've searched the whole site for advice on this subject, but have found no discussions. Does anyone have experience mounting a front a/c unit? I'd like to utilize the factory heater box with a replacement combined evaporator coil and heater cores. Drainage and rust prevention are high concerns. New electronic temp control would be added to the existing fans. Can or has this been done? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
awg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

teedium wrote:
As a new member I've searched the whole site for advice on this subject, but have found no discussions. Does anyone have experience mounting a front a/c unit? I'd like to utilize the factory heater box with a replacement combined evaporator coil and heater cores. Drainage and rust prevention are high concerns. New electronic temp control would be added to the existing fans. Can or has this been done? Thanks.

???
I know search functions dont always give what you want but...here you go...every question you asked is discussed..in sometimes tedious detail Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
teedium
Members

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 am

Thank you so much! Even a search on "air" did not disclose this thread! The problems discussed, are exactly mine. However, the thread ends without any pics of the completed system. I wonder if this is still in progress?
In my own case, I installed an Arctic Car rear system. I used the heated rear window leads for fuse and power to the fans. It was convenient, as my car did not have the heated window option. I placed capillary temp and fan controls at the rear of the center console above the rear seat heater vents, for access by rear passengers.
The dual system for this car is the elegant solution. I intend to install the front system using the dash vents without change. The existing dash cable knobs already control air direction. However I am concerned about drainage from the heater box. I do know that the amount of condensate will be prodigious, so drainage is a top concern. I had thought of mounting a new "floor", slanted down towards the front, with tube drains down the firewall.
I will look to the final photos of your project if you have them, and will commence to order the combined evaporator /heater core that you have shown. It is a brilliant solution!
Back to top Go down
awg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 am

Hi,

the project is far from finished unfortunately, as my car needs a lot of other work.

I have to make this a priority, to maintain roadworthiness.

glad to see that another person apart from myself has independantly come to similar conclusions...welcome aboard...especially as you seem techically oriented.

your concern with condensate is well founded...there is only one palce it CAN go, that is out the heater case drain, utilising the current drain arrangement into the engine bay.

you will need to be very thourough in rust protection, via epoxy products.

I personally do not view this as a huge problem, as the ductwork is short...check one of the links I gave...a pro mob is doing this for $5k + fitting !

As you may notice, I am eagerly seeking some closeup pics of the bracket/compressor mounting arrangement !...can you help?

What climate are you from?

Shall we move the rest of the discussion to the A/C thread ?
I have some additional matters I havnt updated the thread for a while.

ps I'm fairly sure the Unit I used is a Vintage Air stocked item...u need to buy for the whole unit and take the EV core out probably

pps...have you had your heater case out yet?...there is a seperate thread about heater case and bulkhead issues
Back to top Go down
teedium
Members

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 pm

I'll happily provide all the photos you wish. It's the least I can do in return for your providing the key to resolving my issues.

To answer your questions:
Yes let's move over to the a/c thread.
Yes the ductwork is ideal in length and location. I believe the Brits felt that the Yank concepts of "air in your face" and "popsicle nose" were a bit forward, and interfered with proper cigar smoking.
Yes the Northern CA climate is mild but a/c is mandatory in 2012.
Yes I have the case out of my parts car. The only complaint I have with the design is that the fan motors need to be souped up.
No, no rust issues with my "real" 420G.
Yes, rust proofing is a must. But I think a very tight painted sheet metal tray with edges turned down, bonded in (no screws) with 70s style 3M trunk & fender body putty (semi-hardening) will be fine.
Here are a couple "teaser" photos. I'll get more for you.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
See you across the road.
Back to top Go down
awg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 pm

great...all ideas/input very much welcome...am online atm, but working too, so might not be able to look right away...may send u a PM too..tony
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Gents as you are moving over to the Tonys thread on Air Con I'll lock this one Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front air conditioner   Front air conditioner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front air conditioner
Page 1 of 1