The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

420G Clock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jag420g
Resident Mk10\420G Guru
jag420g

420G Clock Empty
PostSubject: 420G Clock   420G Clock I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi All,
A few days ago I reported to another forum that I purchased a replacement battery from SNG barrats for my car clock. I received an alkaline cell LR50 with an output of 1.5 volts. Upon insertion I realised that my clock went into overdrive and no amount of adjustment would slow it down, it was gaining 2-3 hours daily and became supercharged. Most distressing.
I then asked why this was so.--Apparently the 420G smiths clock relies on a constant 1.35 volt power supply and all these alkaline batteries which replaced the old mercury cells output 1.5 volts variable hence giving this irregularity.
I became very frustrated because some of the solutions involved surgical intervention of the clock and its umbilical, anyhow thanks to fellow Listers who showed me that I was not the only one who would love all their instruments functioning correctly I went out on a quest to find a constant 1.35 volt charge for our clocks and after much frustration and despair this is what I discovered in the UK
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I took delivery of this adapter and small silver oxide button cell a few days ago and eagerly inserted same into my clocks battery holder, I knew immediately Things were fine, the ticking had slowed down.
The clock is now functioning correctly and has been keeping perfect time ever since. What a relief!
This gentlemen is the perfect solution for powering up your presumably working clock, the adapter which ensures that the clock is getting a CONSTANT and I repeat a CONSTANT 1.35 volt charge is a once off purchase and the 1.35 volt small button cell is only cheap at a couple of dollars (I bought two), well worth it just to see the hands move.
Anyhow I do not know yet how long the small cell will last but for the price I am quite happy to replace it every few months or so, I hope to be surprised at it's longevity.

However in the meantime I feel that the power problem for the 420/420G battery powered clock has been solved.

Best Regards to all
Charles
Back to top Go down

420G Clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: 420G Clock   420G Clock I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Strange , my clock dosn't run off a battery but works perfectly , my car is a 69/70

Alan S.S.O.C
Back to top Go down
jag420g
Resident Mk10\420G Guru
jag420g

420G Clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: 420G Clock   420G Clock I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:15 am

Alan,
Yes, you are correct. in late 69-70 jaguar dispensed with the battery operated clock and dealerships were given the task of retrofitting it to direct power as yours must be. lucky fellow,
for having one of the late ones.

Best regards
Charles
Back to top Go down

420G Clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: 420G Clock   420G Clock I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 am

jag420g wrote:
Alan,
Yes, you are correct. in late 69-70 jaguar dispensed with the battery operated clock and dealerships were given the task of retrofitting it to direct power as yours must be. lucky fellow,
for having one of the late ones.

Best regards
Charles

How strange , when they changed over to the 420g you would have thought that they all would have been direct power , i can remember looking for the battery holder as shown in the manual before finding the hidden wires , but had no idea this was for 69/70 models only .

Cheers Alan S.S.O.C
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

420G Clock Empty
PostSubject: Re: 420G Clock   420G Clock I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

420G Clock
Page 1 of 1