The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

Geek or Enthusiast !

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Geek or Enthusiast ! Empty
PostSubject: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:05 pm

You decide Smile

But I will be detailing my 4.2 engine as I have on the
E's 3.8

is there a guide anywhere for colours of paint etc Question

I'm not going concours but if I have a part to restore I may as well do it right first time Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
awg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi Clive,

Nothing wrong with wanting your engine bay to be proper

If you need any pics for originalty I can probably help to some extent, but mine is a bit tatty.

There are not many good pics available that I could find

Charles has an exquisitely detailed engine bay, so he might be of assistance.

Pretty much commonsense, since you have already done an E

I notice some have "upgraded" to brass dashpot dampers instead of the black bakelite originals

Have these been fitted from 1 3/4 " SU ?...are they interchangeable with the 2" SU dampers?

Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 pm

I ordered them from SNG Barratts

if I remember about £11 each.

Saying that someone slated my car on another forum the other day,
I don't advertise my car as concours but he ripped it apart and said
they should be zinc plated not brass, I don't know if that's correct Question
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 am

This is the sort of conversation that makes my eyes glazed Sleep

For me - if someone has an MGB with piped red leather and a mohair hood with a kenlowe fan and wilwood calipers .... so what? If it floats his boat then good on him!

It's not my cup of tea but I really do hate the an**ly retentive who are so myopic as to be able to see past a brass dashpotted 2" SU rather than a etc etc etc.... FFS!

I'd somewhat hate it if my other half started commenting that my midriff wasn't like that when it left the factory... lol!... and it's no six pack!

Enjoy your Jag- drive it hard now and then, give it loads of TLC, admire it's beauty - who really gives a damn what others think - enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.carr-consultants.co.uk
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

carsie wrote:
give it loads of TLC

Mike,

Surely. A part od TLC is polishing polishing

I dont class myself as 4n4l but I did enjoy restoring my engine bay and detailing it on my E
and as you know I did a few shows with it last year.
Not that I go for concours but a lot of people got pleasure veiwing it and photgraphing it :photoman:
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Clive ,

Sorry for the lack of update.

Don't get hold of the wrong end of the stick - I really like a properly restored car and I can admire the tenacity and dedication in bringing a car back to standard.

It's a question of taste isn't it? I was saying that a piped leather, mohaired hooded MGB isn't my taste in that a chrome wire wheel E type doesn't doesn't float my boat but a BRG FHC with steel 72 spokes does.

Either way I was saying that the love that we share for our Jag's/MGB's/TR's etc is in the eye of the beholder and if that's what someone likes than so be it.

The point of difference that I was extolling was that in my opinion it was better that a car was being used and presented (albeit in their own personal way/taste -and why not? - it belongs to them!!!!) rather than being polished in a showroom.

What get's me is the biggotted opinion of the cloth capped anorak who decides that "that isn't right because in 19** they only produced that for chassis numers xyz123 to xyz345

So tell me that the dashpots on the HS XYX should be brass instead of black plastic (the latter on a '66 Mk10 4.2 by the way) really does leave me cold

The horror of a brush painted E type, a banger raced Mk10, a fluffy diced XJ Coupe each is the personification of the owner and the beaming smile on their face is what it's about- at least it's not rotting and slowly sinking into the crushers jaws..

Over to you...
Back to top Go down
http://www.carr-consultants.co.uk
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 8:31 pm

carsie wrote:
Hi Clive ,
the beaming smile on their face is what it's about- at least it's not rotting and slowly sinking into the crushers jaws..

Over to you...

You are certainly right re the beaming smile these cars put on your face, when I first made the transition over to Jaguarism (is this a new word or not Question )
the driving experience when driving a Classic Jaguar was so different to driving the BMW E39 M5 I had before which in the end I found to be so boring
even though it was fast.

Driving a Classic Jaguar is infectious once you drive one you just cant stop and you want more. Hence, the addition of the 420G which is just a totally different
driving experience again, as well as filling you with pride it just so comfortable and when you take the seats as I have already you can see why its so comfortable
the seats are so deeply sprung and they have been made by true craftsmen. Not from moulds like todays cars.

Taking me on todays cars, I now look forward to collecting my next Jaguar and getting rid of present daily hack so my like fleet is all Jaguars.
Back to top Go down
jag420g
Resident Mk10\420G Guru
jag420g

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Mine is and soon I will be updating the daily driver Daimler XJ40 to possibly an X350 or S-Type in the new year if all goes to plan.

Charles smoker
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Personally Id have the X350 over the S-Type but as they say:

The choice is Yours Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geek or Enthusiast !   Geek or Enthusiast ! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Geek or Enthusiast !
Page 1 of 1