The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

Lessons Learnt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Lessons Learnt Empty
PostSubject: Lessons Learnt   Lessons Learnt I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 10:52 pm

I think you all know whats its like, you finish a job on the car and realise, you could of done it better, cheaper or even quicker Exclamation

As I post my WiP thread I will updating this topic Idea

If you think Ive missed something that could go here please PM or email me at Etype.forum@googlemail.com

This will be another good database of information.

I havent locked this Topic but please just leave it for me to post here, very happy to put your suggestions and I will quote you on any suggestions put forward Exclamation
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Lessons Learnt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lessons Learnt   Lessons Learnt I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 4:04 am

First of all I apologise for this lessons learnt post being uploaded before the full WIP thread has been constructed.

Just to fill you in P 31 -34 on the WiP thread is about getting my horn to work Exclamation

Upper Steering Column Re-Assembly

As many of you they are tempromental things on a S1 any way myself and Geoff (A member on here but not yet introduced on the Welcome forum) have been doing a lot of testing on the horn & relay etc. My wiring in the car is atroxious, all the colours are wrong but we fathomed it out. After getting a new horn kit I removed the upper steering column and stripped it down.

Diagram below for those who havent done it yet.

Lessons Learnt Steeri10

Anyway I put it all back together and after a bit of fiddling & I heard that horn note Horn

The only problem was after my test drive I realised I couldnt pull steering column so the wheel was nearer me. scratch

Obviously, when Id been trying Id ruined the button Shocked

On stripping it down I found with the stop button out Part 8, therefore Part 7 and 2 wouldnt slide in and out of one another scratch as you can see here Part 8 is knackered after tightening in with fingers it was a bugger to get out I used an adjustable spanner very carefully Wink

Here it is against it replacement. Now not made I was lucky to get one - Thanks Andy @ Hutsons Cheers

Lessons Learnt Dscf0110

I slid the slip ring part 20 off the end and the spring and as you can see the spring has got caught and undone

Lessons Learnt Dscf0111

Luckily I had a spare (the old one) so with everything stripped down

Lessons Learnt Dscf0112

Give it all a good grease when re assembling (keep the rust at bay Smile )

Lessons Learnt Dscf0113

Then putting the spring back in carefully:-

Lessons Learnt Dscf0114

Don't let go of the spring to early or it will ping out Embarassed

Lessons Learnt Dscf0115

So after boths end are back together slide it in Part 1 the Outer Tube Assembly and refit back in the car

Job then sorted grin

Lesson - Make sure the spring is in the hole properly and not caught Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/

Lessons Learnt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium :: More Cars From Sir William Lyons Production Line :: Edward - 1962 E-Type S1 3.8 FHC - 860871-
Jump to: