The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

Let's Reminisce

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:31 am

With a lot of articles floating around at the moment in various publications due to the 50th Anniversary Clelebrations.

I thought a good topic for past / present owners, people who's relations have owned a Mk10 or 420G.

To tell us about the most memorable journey /journies in one of these goliath Jaguars car

The journey can be good Smile or bad. Sad

Whose going to kick off Question

type if you have a Pics needed to go along side the story even better great upload
it or email it to the symposium mailbox address below Smile
Back to top Go down

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:00 pm

So no- one has had a memorable journey in there Mk10 or 420G, thats surprising Exclamation
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:06 am

I'll kick off- been meaning to for a while...

It was a Sunday morning after Mass and we'd driven from Newcastle along the A68 across to Carlisle. Dad had heard from his Officer's Mess that his friend had moved across to Carlisle and thus the family en masse decided that this was the time to invade.

To set the scene, Dad- in his infinite wisdom had decided to have five of us kids and so any family outing ensured that the delighted recipients table was cleared as only a swarm of hungry teenagers who had been cooped up in a cigar fumed Mk10 for the past few hours could attest!

Whilst family outings down to see Nana in Lancashire with the black Mk10 gobbling up the miles (and of course the twin tanks the petrol -lol!) mere Ford Cortina's et al were summarily dismissed with contempt as the triple SU's sucked them in and spat them out of the twin pipes at the back - Well at least that's how it all appeared to me as an immature adolescent but heh! - even to this day I have a vivid imagination Smile

I digress - Nana was pleased to see us but the poor retired ex RAF chap and his poor wife had their tranquility shattered by the no doubt incessant chatter and squabbling that any young family does when it's bored, ne'er mind when it's been trapped in aforesaid jag for the past two and half hours.

Dad no doubt was feeling equally frazzled and decided that he should partake of the hospitality and the amber nector duly offered- .....the results were somewhat "mauvais" I think is how the French put it!

Now you've got to put this in context - in those day's it was ok to have a wee dram, you weren't a social pariah - you were just a bit kittled thats all- I think that's what happened to poor Dad.

I used to sit looking over his shoulder (even for five kids it was tight in the back) and effectively "drove" hundreds of miles long before I was old enough to legally drive (more anon)

On the way back from Carlisle we were "making good progress" I believe is the Police euphamism - well actually we were doing circa 100mph - long sweeping bends were taken with aplomb and a balance and vigour that the straight six could deliver with consumate ease.

I must mention that Dad was not only an early IAM member but also sported a Police Advanced driver badge which he had taken and passed some years earlier - so he was no mean driver!

To this day (night) I still recall the long straight down and way off on the horizon a tractor slowly limbering across the field.......

I recall clocking the speedo and seeing it circa 100mph and then Dad moving out to the crown of the road - I remember him saying under his breath..."stay...." as though commanding our dog Towser who was innocently sleeping at home awaiting our return.

You've guessed the inevitable...... out the blinkin tractor came; even in anticipation the closing speed was very fast- like very, very, very fast!

The brakes locked, and the Jag slewed left and then right as Dad sought to control the skid - no ABS in those days- nor seatbelts!, acres of leather and looming walnut dashboard do not make a pleasent mix no matter how solitious to the onlooker

Mercifully, the black lines of entrenched SP41's burned into the road, all of Norman Dewis's and the Dunlop Engineer's fine work ensured that the MK10's occupants and - as equally mercifully, the poor tumble weed mind of the farmer's, life were spared.

We stopped and Dad - no doubt fuelled by as much adrenaline as the previous hours "wee dram" gave the poor farmer a dressing down like there was no tomorrow - if only on reflection they both probably realised that it was only due to the grace of God that indeed there was going to be one.

I remember looking out of the rear window and the lines of black tyre marks and the smell of acrid rubber.

We stopped a few miles up the road and Dad drank copious amounts of black coffee........ I suspect Mum might have a few word that were stronger than the "wee dram"

I remember looking up the "Longest Skid Marks" in the Guiness Book Of Records - remember - no t'internet in those days. and discovering that they belonged to a MK2 Jag- hummnnn - 11yr old puts pen to paper.....

"Dear Mr Jaguar,

Recently we were on our way back from Carlisle...."

You know? Jaguar sent me a lovely letter back and a copy of Jaguar History - a lovely brochure in glossy navy blue - considering my only access to car magazines was the local Vauxhall dealer this was pure gold! - It must be in a drawer somewhere in Mum's.

So what do you think? - well 'ol Dad was clearly over the limit but as kids we just didn't twig and even if we had we wouldn't have dared say anything - you didn't back then.

Dad loved driving fast - the Jag was regularly over the ton and we often cruised at circa 90 on the motorway - so cross country - going quick- it was par for the course.

I think we were lucky but in our(my) naievity,I just put it down to the wonderful Mk10 - how maturity makes you see and reflect differently......

Now- remind me to tell you how Dad got ticked off when an old sports car kept on our tail for mile after mile north of Morpeth and how even at cough...cough high speeds we couldn't shake him - "Dad" I whispered in his ear (remember I sat on his shoulder) ......"its a Ferrari!"...... to which came the reply ...."Oh!" and we duly let him pass Smile

I liked my Dad - he would approved of my latest acquisition...

Back to top Go down
http://www.carr-consultants.co.uk
jag420g
Resident Mk10\420G Guru
jag420g

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:34 am

celebrating Thanks for that, you brightened up my otherwise drab weekend (got a bit of a throat and chest bug thingy going on).

Best
Charles smoker
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:35 am

Excellent - Carsie Exclamation

You're right though you never used to have the 70mph restriction and there wasn't any no drinking before driving laws.

All said though a great story, keep them coming guys. Im afraid I cant chip in on this thread just the project thread at the moment. Hopefully summertime I will have a story to tell Wink car
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi Im new to this site and although not owning one at the momment I have owned 3.8LT mK 10 and a 1970 420G in the past and my father had a red and black Mk 10 back in the late sixties which brings me to this story. We would as a family go out most sundays for a run in the Jag and most likely end up having a picnic some were, we lived in Newbury at the time and we would often find a spot on the Themes say nere Pangbourn or even run up to Windsor. On one trip we went to Richmond great park which was a popular picnic location as well as being home to several royals one being Princess Alexandra and her husband Angus Ogilvi who at the time I believe owned a red Jaguar. On this occasion we were waiting in a long line of traffic waiting to turn right into Richmond park the traffic being directed by a young police man on point duty. the police man looking down the line of traffic spotted our Jag and thinking we were either royal or in some way connected stopped the cars in both directions pointed in our direction and waved us forward. It took a few seconds of frantic waving by the police man before dad said "I think he wants us to pull out and drive past the other cars" much to mums embarrisment dad pulled out and sailed past all the waiting cars in which you could see heads straining to catch a glimps of who was in the car, the crowning point (forgive the poor joke) was as we turned into the park the police man saluted us, my poor mum never lived it down. In those days Jags had so much more pressance than modern ones do today. Here is a photo of me as a young boy sat on the front of Dads Jag

Let's Reminisce Steveonmk10
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:16 am

Steve, wow! that takes me back - that could have been me sat on the bonnet Very Happy

A lovely story, really nice! . The Mk10 had/has such presence didn't it?. I have commented before that Dad's was Glasgow registered and we/he had a car phone fitted in the early '70's. Given that the Jag was black with a car phone and a Scottish Reg we got enormous kudos when up in Scotland ( we lived in the N.East)- The Scottish Police apparently ran Jag's Smile

I've just bought myself an XJ40 after a few years without a Jag- previously I've had an XJ 3.2 and then an XJ308 V8. I often read of others buying their Jag's because "Dad had one" or "I grew up with them " (as in my case)

I had a really fortunate childhood and my "street" had two XK120's, three Xk140's, an XK150, the first E Type V12 in the N.E , the first XJS ( Mr "Bergahuas " Pete Lockey no less" after his Aston's and Range Rover) on to the famous XK120 Reg No XK1 that won the Masterclass Concours at Jaguar something or other but I saw the car before it was black as a beige 120DHC who lived 200yds up the road- if only I could have afforded to sell my beloved TR6 to buy the Navy Blue V12 E Type which he also owned/traded and used to blast down the Coast Road and suck my doors off my TR6 just for the sheer hell of it! B***d lol! he knew what he was doing to a young 20yr old lad! lol!

Mind you I also bumped into him one day in a somewhat well know scrapyard when he had a handful of speedometer's from lesser prestigous models than Jaguar and he seemed to be swopping copiuos amounts of cash for them- didn't realise he also collected Austin's and Fords that quite clearly had a lot a dashboard problems that needed sorted out!.........lol!

Of course I've also mentioned trying to buy the 13th E Type FHC which my best friend at that time bought and after 28yrs he's just sold - probably in retrospect a better lifetime owner but heh.....

I often read on Retro Rides or Pistonheads that the lad's just seem so darn attracted to the Jag almost like an itch that has to be scratched and it's almost with a degree of reverence; I feel the same, stupid though it is- what is it? The low line, the curve of the hips?, the growl of the engine, the leaper, the smell of the leather?

I bought my wife a brand new BM some years ago - cripes did that car leave me stone cold sober. A Merc's the same!- acres of cold, cold ...teutonic...... nothing - somewhat like going to bed with an Female Officer of the Cold WaraAAAAAAAAAAAAA (mind you with one of those big fur hats and a pair of back sus....... -better stop SWIMBO might log on! lol! )

Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Fitting Electric Windows    Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:37 am

Crumb’s you lot! What does it take to make you stick pen to paper? The swankiest Jag in town and no stories...... sigh!

I’ve mentioned (??) one of my friends buying the 13th E Type FHC - well another of my friends bought himself an XJ Series 1 and at the tender age of 18 (yep! Anyone remember how you could actually get TPFT insurance at a reasonable rate in those days?) used to cruise around our coastal town with the stereo blaring and the windows down- and you thought bass was only invented by MC Hammer lol! No siree…. my good friend A**** (c’mon it really wouldn’t be fair! He might be sensible with a wife and kids now! Lol!)...well he had it off to a tee and on one memorable occasion decided to pull up alongside a group of young ladies waiting outside a nightclub. I was cringing in the front passenger seat saying “A” don’t!!! ……but to the young stud in full flow there was no stopping him - the stereo ( prob all 8watts of Radiomobile and blasting Brian Ferry) were the unfortunate recipients of his stereo and Jaaaaag attention. Alas…the girls however didn’t appreciate it and with one fair and square, Geordie, put down, said ……. “nice car…..shame about the face! Lol!” Oh dear … poor “A”! What did that do to a poor young man’s ego?.....but he was a such good sport – he went on to buy an S3 XJ12 – true petrol head- nice lad-long since lost touch. This was all back in the late ‘70’s

Anyway back to Mk10’s….

I’ve also said Dad was a good sport and in addition he seemed to have a high degree of unsubstantiated faith in my mechanical abilities. From an early age I had dismantled things and re-assembled them whether they be the bike’s, my toy’s, mums Hoover, meccano etc (remember that fabulous stuff?) I was and always have been absolutely car bonkers lol! and so it wasn’t that unusual that a car related conversation would surface at the table. One lunchtime I announced to Dad that I had been offered a MK10 for the princely sum of £300.

It was 1972 and I had been “touring” the local garages; most of them knew me as I was a constant visitor on my bike to see what they had in the workshops or showrooms. On this occasion the local Citroen garage (who incidentally subsequently gained a Maserati Bora in their showroom!! lol! ( that was due to the fact that Citroen bought Maserati – hence the SM) In good ‘old Whitley Bay! who was going to buy that?? Lol! ) anyway… they had taken a Mk10 in p/x.
A quick scan over, the price was elicited and with a cunning plan the idea was formed Idea -as Baldrick would subsequently say.

I thus laid the plan to Dad and to his eternal credit he agreed!

We would buy the MK10 – keep the four decent tyres, the good battery, exhaust and swop over the four doors complete with electric windows and sound door skins into our own and the rest would be …..cough….cough….”disposed of”…(scrapped!)

And so it was that I embarked on taking off four beautiful coach built, hand assembled (well Brown Lane anyway!) doors complete with the innumerable shims and dum dum sticky stuff and chasing the whole wiring loom complete with 6RA relays back to the dashboard and the nearside front wing and then re-assembling the whole lot back into Dad’s shiny black MK10.

I learnt a lot along the way……………

Don’t use Evo Stick on plastic door trim…. it wrinkles….

Jaguar wiring is really straightforward if you follow the diagrams

You really should be a trained Panel beater if you want to hang a MK10 door properly

Don’t even attempt to spray a Mk10 with an electric Burgess or WHY spray gun…

I could go on….. Dad – bless him turned a blind eye to it all – he had electric windows in his Jag and the beginnings of rot at the base of the doors (c’mon you know where I mean!) had all gone.

The paintwork was no longer up to Rossleighs or Browns Lane Standard and the door alignment was no longer a gentle “clunk” but the windows all went up and down and the centre consol proudly winked the chrome switches -

We shall see whether I let my own lads loose on my newly acquired XJ40 – but I’m sure I will, and it will probably be with the same degree of hidden terror that Dad had but either way … It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t, would it? Very Happy

Maybe another night I’ll tell you about changing the springs on the rear cage using a hand held lawnmower as a support Mad (I was only 14yrs old! And dad didn’t actually know) and how Dad spied the new XJ12 down at Browns Lane whilst collecting a new engine and how he had to drive through the picket lines and despite all the effort he managed to cook the new engine and run the bearings towing a 22’ caravan through France but redeemed himself to me by ordering aforesaid XJ12 in BRG ….….. as I always say…more anon…

Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 am

Sorry! - was supposed to be posted in the other section " reminisce"
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:46 am

Carsie,

I hope Ive merged this right, but Ive just had about 1/2 bottle of champagne ,2 pints stella, and a half a bottle of shiraz so if I merged it with the wrong thread apologies....
Night all Cheers
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 7:50 am

I may not be old enough to reminisce with my own stories, but the more people I am coming across in this what seems to be a "small world" of Jaguars we live in the more stories I get told.

1) I recently went to veiw some units and the chap soon was asking me what I wanted to use the unit for, once I mentioned to store classic jaguars his ears pricked up and although a very well healed man he asked if he could drive for me in my new venture. He also mentioned his father used to have one as well a Jensen Interceptor. Apparently the Mk 10 wasnt a reliable one though as he remembered loading up on a flat back to send it back to Coventry because of engine trouble.
----------

2) On recently veiwing yet another car, on the test drive we got on to the subject of Mk10 and 420G and this gentlemen had owned a Mk10. He told me the tale of how on a local motorway he could leave the roundabout floor it and before hitting the motorway have it up to 100mph Smile
-----------

3) I was at my parents at the week-end and my stepfather used to have a Mk2 as one of his company cars, when I was showing him the pictures in the marque and model history section of my recent visits to Browns Lane he started telling stories of memories of a lot of the cars. One of his best stories was from an actual swallow sidecar motorbike itself, he used to have an older brother who had one, and as he was quite young he was forbid to go in the side car. Well that was like a red rag to a bull, so his brother would always take him in it when out of veiw of the family house and he was telling me the sidecar was so light that when it round the corners the sidecar left the road and he used to hang out for dear life to bring it back down to the road...

If I dint show my pictures I wouldnt of known he had been in one .... great
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:18 am

Carsie,

Are we a due a nother chapter now the evenings are dark and you have a new bottle of scotch for the cold nights lol!

Say I if you want more tales Exclamation
Back to top Go down
db08
db08

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Dave here.
Can I come too? Perhaps we can do the Scotch thing via teleconference or something? Very Happy
More tales is good & I have just a wee dram or two here waiting.........
Last Sunday we had a temp of 36.3 degrees during the day here in Perth.
Here we are a week later and it is now pouring down outside which somehow seems to fit with the Scotch a bit better Smile
Back to top Go down

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Now our numbers of members are growing any more stories Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Let's Reminisce Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Reminisce   Let's Reminisce I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Reminisce
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium :: The Jaguar MK10 & 420G Symposium :: The “Kray’s Club”-
Jump to: