The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
awg
Admin

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 Empty
PostSubject: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:56 pm

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 Scan0001vf9

A few posts recently showing other members projects and stories of tolerant wives,

have prompted me to post pics of a former project, very reluctantly sold.

1st pic is the truck, I bought for scrap value...amazingly this ex-US Army vehicle, had been in constant hard construction work with one company since 1956.

The second pic shows it on its first outing...what a stern test, Stockton sand dunes, with the Military Vehicle Club.
( GMC CCKW are 6x6...the fellow readily visible letting air from the tyre is not me )

Due to storage issues, the need to spend quite a lot more time and money, and I found out that I need a Heavy Rigid Licence to legally drive it,
combined with a very keen buyer left me with little choice but to submit.

The final picture is from the new owner. He informs me over $100,000 has been spent.
He informs me he has traced the numbers on this truck and believes it has a very unusual history, including D-Day and the Redball run

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 Scan0004ml6

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 054bh

I smirked a bit when i see the last pic from the new owner..I must say my neigbours were less than keen to see my GMC parked in my driveway...one had the hide to say they thought it de-valued their property, as I live in a reasonably upmarket area....what can you do with an attitude like that ?
Back to top Go down
db08
db08

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Wow, what an interesting vehicle to have owned.
I don't know what your neighbours were complaining about Smile
A great restoration too.
Dave
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am

Tony,

What a great truck…… great

If a neighbour said that to me I would have kept it to P*** them off lol!

Look forward to seeing some Mk7 pics…

Guys, please post pics of your other cars BIG or small… Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
awg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:57 am

haha Clive,

I have classic "whinging pom" neigbours on one side, even though we get on well, I try not to upset them.

On the other side I have another Englishman, described by a very respected source as the "worst tempered person he had ever worked with"

At the rear, I have a violent individual, with a renowned foul temper.

I myself, am normally diplomatic and even tempered most of the time, however, I have a strong dislike of any attemt to bully me.

In the case of the 2 foul-mouthed aggressive neighbours, who did attempt to bully me,
it was amusing for me to see the look of fear in their eyes, when I decided it was time to lock gaze and adopt fighting posture.

I would note the vehicle issue was only a minor part of these guys behaviour, they have caused trouble for over various issues for various people.

I havent had any trouble for quite a while, as neighbours have to live together, and its a real pest if they call authorities about vehicles..I personally had the council, police and epa summoned maliciously.

I am legal, and they know I wont change.

MY MKVII and Daimler VDP are at another property in a shed, I will take some pics of the VDP...I have many already of the MKVII, I will post some soon
Back to top Go down
awg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Just for the info of anyone interested, these vehicles were a techical masterpiece.

Over 800,000 were manafactured between 1940 to 1945

They were the backbone of the US Army during WW2, and dozens of countries for many years after, once there military service was finished, they worked their bums of in tough work.

I reckon Lyons would have had a good look at the GMC 270cu engine, it was a long stroke straight six, well favored by hotrodders in the 50s.

It was the first 6x6 mass produced, has CV joints on front axles.

Although rated 2 1/2 tonnes, they were road rated for 5 tonnes of cargo, mine was rated for 8 1/2 tonnes.

If you watch virtually any WW2 documentary, you will see them.

They were also built by Studebaker, and a very rare and desirable version by International.

In addition, they are the complete basis for the amphibious DUKW.

In terms of design and functionality, I cant think of many better, along with the jeep.

There is virtually nothing as versatile, even today, and the equivalant military trucks of today are much larger, and mind-blowing expensive.

Back to top Go down
retromotors
MK10 Project Author
retromotors

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 pm

awg wrote:
They were the backbone of the US Army during WW2, and dozens of countries for many years after, once their military service was finished, they worked their bums of in tough work.

No need to use past tense .... they are still working their bums off. Most often seen in my area being used to move houses and buildings. Tough mothers!

awg wrote:
I reckon Lyons would have had a good look at the GMC 270cu engine, it was a long stroke straight six, well favored by hotrodders in the 50s.

Well doggone .... funny you should mention that! Look what's lurking out in the shop.

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 Gmc270_01

It's an ex-military 1940s vintage GMC 270. I haven't been able to narrow down the specific date of manufacture, probably due to later parts being used during it's life.
I'm basing my '40s guess on the rebuild tag from the Red River Arsenal, dated April 1951.

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 Gmc270_tag

As for the hotrodding reference, you're right. They could be built into very strong performers without becoming fragile.
Here's a tasty pic stolen off the web.

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 2005_0617Image0016
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 am

Least you know what the engine will fit into…..

Your next project….

On the subject of projects, whats happening with that MK10 has it ground to a halt Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
retromotors
MK10 Project Author
retromotors

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am

Car-Nut wrote:
On the subject of projects, whats happening with that MK10 has it ground to a halt Question

In case anyone has failed to guess, I have more than the average amount of worms in my head. Shocked

This can cause me to fall off the radar for varying periods of time.
Eventually, much to everyone's dismay and disgust, i return ...... (so far, anyway.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353   other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

other vehicle projects..GMC CCKW353
Page 1 of 1