The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jaguar Mk10 & 420G Owners Symposium

The Quintessential Site for Aficionados of Jaguar's Zenith Project Cars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TO READ THE MK10 420G PROJECT CARS THREADS PLEASE REGISTER

PLEASE WELCOME AWG OUR NEW ADMINISTRATOR

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE A MODERATOR ON THE SYMPOSIUM PLEASE MESSAGE AN ADMIN

Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested Empty
PostSubject: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 am

Carsie our new user is looking for info and pics of this:-

Here some details I found

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyone else come up with anything else Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.jaguarmk10420gsymposium.com/
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:48 am

Carsie,

From this Article, posted in the

Arrow Jaguar History Forum

Developing the beast

Meanwhile in this pre-energy crisis world, fuel was still relatively cheap and a horse power race broke out in the USA as manufacturers built more and more powerful engines with larger capacities. Jaguar was in danger of being left behind. The company had two choices: develop what it had or build an entirely new engine. When Jaguar had bought Daimler in 1960 it had inherited a failing car range, but two excellent overhead valve V8s of 1959 vintage designed by Edward Turner. The first was a 2.5-litre unit producing 140bhp and 146lb ft of torque, more than the equivalent 2.4-litre XK engine. Further more, when slotted into the Mk2 bodyshell to produce the Daimler 2.5-litre V8, it produced a faster car than the smaller engined Mk2 2.4, and in the opinion of most critics, a more refined car.

The second was a 4561cc V8 which produced 220bhp at 5500rpm and an impressive torque figure of 283lb ft at 3200rpm. This V8 was fitted to the Daimler Majestic Major which was in production from 1959 to 1968. Sales of the latter were low but it could match the Jaguar MkX for top speed and beat it on acceleration quite handsomely. The logical next step was to try and fit the 4.5-litre V8 into the Zenith bodyshell to create a Daimler version of the MkX, which was duly done. Physically the V8 fitted into the engine bay quite easilly, and ex-development engineer Ron Beaty recalled how it performed.

'It lopped six seconds off the 0-100mph time, and that was with square cut exhaust manifolds and an air cleaner you wouldn't put on a lawnmower. It buzzed around MIRA all day at 133/134mph in the hands of anyone who happened to be about'.

Around this time Jaguar Technical Director William Heynes wrote to chairman Sir William Lyons on the subject of the larger Daimler V8.

'There is no question that the horsepower can be brought up by redesign of the valve ports. At the same time I feel it is desirable to increase the capacity of the engine. I have therefore arranged with Daimler to revise the design to bring the capacity up to five-litres which, with revised valve ports, should produce 280/290 bhp at 5000 rpm with a 30% increase in maximum torque over the Jaguar 3.8 engine. The unit in this condition would give a satisfactory alternative unit for the Zenith (MkX) and also a satisfying performance in the big Daimler saloon'.

In the event the company decided not to proceed with a Daimler V8 version of the Zenith saloon. The official reason was that the the Daimler production line was not tooled up for quantity production, but it had no trouble supplying demand for the smaller 2.5-litre V8. Perhaps the real reason was one of prestige. A 5-litre Daimler Zenith would have embarrased the XK engined Jaguars in the performance stakes, Jaguar's engine designers also had a blind prejudice against the V8 configuration, which they thought could not match six and twelve cylinder for refinement and they thought they could design a superior V12 engine. In the event it took until 1996 for Jaguar to produce a V8 engine, the superb AJ26, which in 2009 was enlarged to 5-litres.
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:08 am

Finally a picture:-

Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested QUADcAM
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reponse guy's Very Happy

I was aware of the stories on the AR site but thank you for flagging it anyway - he's very good at the jag history.

I've actually just jumped across to that site to get some info and I see he's posted a whole new section on the MK10/420G hurray I may be busy for the next couple of hours study

I think he's been inspired by your idea CarNut and hijacked it! - heh ho! - I'll copy the link because I can and because you're the Administrator you won't get charged with Copyright or Plagurism! you can just blame it on me good idea

Actually this deserves a new thread so I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.carr-consultants.co.uk
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Hadn't seen that engine before - Quad Cam V8. Nice pic - Thank you

Wonder if this was trialed at all?
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 5:26 am

carsie,

Dont know if youre still around Question

came across this link I think it will interest you

one for you to read with your glass of scotch Very Happy

Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 8:56 am

Hi, yes I’m still around albeit I’ve had my nose to the grindstone the past couple of weeks so sorry for any silence. It’s funny really I was driving back from Leicester yesterday and thinking I hadn’t logged on for a while- your note made me smile.

I’ve been following the Quad cam story for a few weeks now; a lucky man that Neville but then I guess he’s worked hard enough so he deserves it- it’s funny how serendipity takes a hand isn’t it?

Slightly off topic I came sooooooo close to buying an XJ over the Easter weekend, the only thing that stopped me was that they wouldn’t take a deposit and I mean substantial deposit! until I could sort the balance out on the Tuesday following the holiday- it was a private deal but even so some people are very strange! Their hesitancy made me question the deal and I backed out not feeling the trust but I keep churning it over in my mind and would really like to buy it- maybe I’ll give them a bell tomorrow, if that devil sits on my shoulder any longer tapping me.......... Smile

I’ll keep you posted and try to put pen to paper again soon
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 am

Forgot to ask...how do you know I like a glass of Jameson? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:37 pm

I read it in one of your previous posts..
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 5:50 am

Carsie,

Did you get the xj in the end Question
Back to top Go down
carsie
Members

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:00 am

......sssshhhhh.... I'll tell you on Monday! Wink
Back to top Go down
Car-Nut
Admin
Car-Nut

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 4:04 am

I drive past a nice XJ in a garage on the way to work, it looks good and its only £1695 nice little (well, not little) daily hack. But now Ive seen something else on pistonheads Im torn which way to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 am

Well carsie, did you get the car Question

Also on JL theres a guy who has bought one of these engines have you read it Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested   Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Infor for carsie -> Quad Cam Mk10 that Norman Dewis tested
Page 1 of 1